Update 6 for Serendipity Blackmagic / Megarip / Veripress 6.0.01 added a software update caching feature.
Any updates or Additional Software (such as HTM printer drivers) installed after Update 6, are stored in a ‘cache’ folder within the software installation directory.
The folders are located here:-
After the cache folder is installed by the update, the Serendipity Updater checks the folder before downloading any updates or additional software. If an update or additional software driver is present in the software update cache folder it is not downloaded, just unpacked, verified and installed.
Aside from saving time and download bandwidth, the cached updates can be useful when performing a reinstall, or when moving a Serendipity software installation to an alternate or new machine using the same operating system. e.g. moving from a Windows 64-bit machine to another.
Copying the Software Update Cache folder
If performing a new installation or reinstalling Serendipity Blackmagic / Megarip / Veripress:-
- Make a backup copy of the cache folder
- Install the Serendipity software package
- Copy the backup cache folder into the installation folder location (above)
- Run the Server, then select Help menu > Check for Updates, the server will shut down to perform initial updates.
- Restart the Server, then select Help menu > Install Additional Software.
- Select the required additional software drivers, then Install.
Any drivers, such as printer HTMs (often 100-200MB) already present in the cache folder will be verified and installed, with no download required.