Canon’s imagePROGRAF PRO series, TM series, and TX series printers store driver settings, paper type and print mode information internally. Before Serendipity Blackmagic / Megarip can use the printer drivers, this media library (configuration data) needs to be collected from the printer.
Note – Connection and media library download requires that the printer initially be connected via ethernet directly to, or on network of the machine running Blackmagic / Megarip. After the driver information is downloaded, the printer can be connected via USB, though this is not recommended for ongoing use.
After you have connected the printer to your computer or network, follow these steps when using Serendipity Blackmagic / Megarip driver with the printer for the first time. A Canon PRO-2000 is being used for this example.
- Open the Workbench application in Blackmagic / Megarip.
- Select the Output Data Type and create a new Output for your printer.
- In the Output > Printer & Media panel > Printer section, click the Output Driver button and choose the “Canon imagePROGRAF PRO-2000…” or “Canon imagePROGRAF PRO-2000…(Printer’s Screening)” driver from the Output Driver Info pop-up window, then click OK.
- Tick the Monitor Printer Status checkbox to turn status monitoring ON.
Note – this step is important, as status monitoring is the method by which Blackmagic / Megarip gathers and stores the printer’s driver settings.
- Next, in the Connection panel > Destination section, click the Destination button, and choose your printer connection method from the Destination Info pop-up window, then click OK.
- If TCP/IP port is selected, type the IP address of the printer in the Hostname/IP: field, and enter TCP Port Number: 9100.
- If Bonjour / Zeroconf is selected, click the Edit button, select the printer’s Bonjour / Zeroconf service address from the drop-down menu in the pop-up Bonjour / Zeroconf Options window, then click OK.
- Click the Test button, Save the Output when requested. If the printer successfully connects, ‘OK’ will appear in the Test field.
- In the Queue Control panel > Status section, set the queue to Active.
- Now, Save the Output.
Wait for about 10-20 seconds to allow the data to be transferred from the printer.
You will now be able to create new Media configurations for your printer, or download them via the online Media Catalogue.
Copying and Updating the driver info
The driver information provided by the printer is stored within your Blackmagic / Megarip software in the …/lib/media/canon/”printer model name” folder.
Blackmagic / Megarip will check the printer every 24 hours for updated driver data.
If a known driver media library update needs to be applied without waiting for the daily update check:
- Delete the medialib.xml file from the driver folder (above)
- Disable then re-enable the Monitor Printer Status in your Output, or in an active QueueStatus panel in the Jobs window.
If you wish to install your software on another machine, the …/lib/media folder can be copied directly into the …/lib/ directory of the new install. This allows immediate Workbench access to the printer driver settings.
The folder is also saved as part of a complete Server Backup, and will be added to Blackmagic / Megarip as part of a Server Restore.