Megarip Pagesetup’s can be set up as a Mac OS X system printer destination to allow jobs to be easily submitted via the Print option of third party software or design packages.
Jobs printed to a published pagesetup will be automatically sent for processing and colour management in Megarip, eliminating the need for dropfolders or manual file submission.
Note: Jobs printed via Megarip in this way must be in a file input format available to your Megarip version. The option to print files from any application is not available for Megarip Raster versions of the software.
Installing the Serendipity Printer Drivers
The first step when publishing a pagesetup for the first time is to install the Serendipity Printer Drivers for Mac OS X.
The installation package is located on the Installation DVD (Version 5.3+) or can be downloaded from the Serendipity Software website.
If installing from the DVD:
- Navigate to the /drivers/mac folder and run the Serendipity Printer Drivers.pkg file.
- An installer window will appear. Follow the prompts to complete the installation of the drivers. The installer will require administrator access privileges.
Configuring the Pagesetup for Publishing as a TCP/IP System Printer
To configure a calibrated pagesetup for publishing:
- In the Workbench, select the Pagesetup from the list of available items.
- Go to the Publish panel and enable the checkbox for TCP Port: Activate port number option.
- Enter the TCP port number into the field and save the Pagesetup.
Note on Port Numbers: It is recommended that the port number assigned to a pagesetup be a port over 10000 to avoid any conflict with the operating system or an existing application. Each pagesetup to be published needs its own unique port number for example, 10200, 10201, etc.
Asset Queue: The Asset Queue publishes itself to port number 9104. Jobs printed to this TCP port are placed in the Asset Queue.
Note on Media: When submitting jobs to a published pagesetup the default Media assigned to the Pagesetup is used. If you wish to publish to a different Media (paper type & configuration) on the same printer each Media configuration required needs to be assigned to its own Pagesetup with its own unique port number.
Creating a TCP/IP Mac OS X System Printer
A system printer needs to be created and configured on the Mac OS X computer that is running the Megarip Server.
- Open the System Preferences for the Mac OS X.
- Choose Print & Fax.
- Click the + icon at the bottom of the printer list panel to create a new printer.
- Select the IP icon at the top of the Add Printer window.
- Protocol – Select HP Jetdirect – Socket from the dropdown menu.
- Address – Enter the TCP/IP address and port information for the printer setup in the following format: ComputerIPAddress:PagesetupPortNumber (see image for example). The IP address for the printer should NOT be used.
- Name – Enter the desired name for the printer. It should be easily recognisable as a published pagesetup and/or the particular pagesetup being published.
- Print Using – Select Printer Software from the dropdown menu.
- A list of available Mac OS X system printer drivers will popup.
- Either scroll down the list and select Serendipity Megarip or type “Serendipity” in the filter field and select Serendipity Megarip and click OK.
- Click Add to add the new printer.
- Set the published Pagesetup “printer” as the system default and/or share the printer on the network as required.
Configuring a Pagesetup for Publishing as a Bonjour Printer
- In the Workbench select the Pagesetup to be published from the list of available items.
- Go to the Publish panel and enable the printer: Mac checkbox. This lists the Pagesetup in the Mac OS X system Bonjour destinations as “Pagesetup name @ computer name”.
- Save the Pagesetup when done.
Creating a Bonjour System Printer for Mac OS X
A system printer needs to be created and configured on the Mac OS X computer running the Megarip Server.
- Open the System Preferences for Mac OS X.
- Select Print & Fax.
- Select the Default icon at the top of the Add Printer window.
- Choose the Pagesetup from the Printer Name list. The Pagesetup will be listed as “Pagesetup name @ computer name” and the Kind will be Bonjour.
- Print Using – If you have installed the Serendipity Printer Drivers the Print Using field should auto-fill to show Serendipity Megarip.
- If the Serendipity Printer Drivers have not been installed, cancel the printer setup and install the drivers as per the instructions outlined at the beginning of this document.
- If the field does not auto-fill, choose Select Printer Software from the dropdown menu. A list of available Mac OS X system printer drivers will popup. Either scroll down the list and select Serendipity Megarip or type “Serendipity” in the filter field and select Serendipity Megarip. Click Add.
- Name – Enter the desired name for the printer. It should be named to be easily recognisable as a published pagesetup and/or the particular pagesetup being published.
- Click Add to add the new printer.
- Set the published pagesetup “Printer” as the system default and/or share the printer on the network as required.